Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Butt-kickings, detox, and angelic beans


I just had my butt kicked today. It might have been the worst butt-kicking I have ever received. It even beats the time I received two swirlies for showing up to school wearing my Leprechaun costume (mostly true story). Except this time it happened where it hurts, in something I care about..................................................... Scrabble.


Final Score: Amber 347 Jared 153

She beat me by 200 points. For those of you who don't play Scrabble, that is a BLOW OUT! It's like when (insert your favorite sports blow out story here).


Anyway,

We are trying to eat more healthily. The boys at my work are doing an addiction exercise where they give up something difficult for two weeks. Knowing my propensities for sugary deliciousness, I was roped into giving up sugar. Judging by the last couple of posts, this was well timed. Amber and Mikkena decided to join me, and we extended it to a month. I won't lie, not eating sugar is the hardest thing I have done in a long time. For a few days I got depressed, but now I'm back. Strange things happen when your body detoxes from high sugar levels. Fruit starts to taste good. Who knew fruit actually tasted good. I always looked at fruit as bad impostor low-budget candy, but I ate an apple the other day that was better than all of the bad impostor low-budget candy I have ever eaten! Also, I have officially adopted caffeine-free Diet Coke with lime (the lime takes away the disturbing after-taste shivers). It's definitely a tentative adoption, we haven't signed the papers.



So, with the family on board we made some adjustments to Mikkena's birthday celebrations. Instead of birthday cake we went and had low fat (and I think sugar free, although I didn't check) frozen yogurt at Amber's new favorite trendy frozen yogurt place with a stupid name.



This was the real test of my commitment to not eat candy. There was a self-serve topping bar filled with candy and fruit. There they were...........................................not just jelly beans, but Jelly Bellys, and I was feeling snooty. Perfect, glowing, speckled little beauties like little angels from heaven. They were singing to me, "it's OK no one will ever know. We are delicious".


One death glare from Amber snapped me back to reality. I got fruit, and it was still good, but not Jelly Belly good.

7 comments:

♥Shally said...

Ohhh... Amber is GOOD. You really did get your butt kicked!!

And no sugar?

Couldn't do it.

Especially with Jelly Bellies just ripe for the taking!

Brittanie said...

You are giving up sugar? You are giving up sugar???? YOU??

I had to read that twice to make sure I read it right.

Wow, I'm impressed. I hope that it works out for you!

I'm not allowed to go on diets like that right now, but I might after Reeses is born (he still doesn't have a real name). I gained 15lbs nursing Erin that I never got off, so I really don't want to do that again!

Sherine said...

Tis the season to be giving.. so I will eat your sugar for you. Can you eat splenda? Cuz I'll make you guys some cookies made with it if it counts. We can call them hello cookies.

HRHSpence said...

Wow, was that a flock of flying pigs I just saw?

Stacie said...

Way to go Ammmbaaahhh!

Nice to put the pic of the butt kicking in there. Also, kudos on your post titles - they are always intriguing.

I'm with you - yogurt is good, but better with some peanut M&Ms. Good for you to resist and have a will of steel. Good for Amber to keep you in line :) Bet you can't wait for that month to be up - when is it up? October 31st you say? Well, isn't that convenient? (you must say this in the true church lady voice).
xoxoxo

Nyssa said...

Your posts are always so funny....I'm busting up over here :)
One time I gave up chocolate. It was supposed to be for a year, but it ended up being 3 months. I'm still proud of that accomplishment.

quilting queen said...

Jared... since you have my genes you will never be able to completely give up sugar.I just thought I'd let you know so you won't be disappointed when you lose your will power ,besides that,I can't understand why anyone would want to