Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Friendly" Competition

A few months ago, Amber and I were looking for ways to cut our monthly expenses. When Comcast decided to raise their rates and refused to compromise, we had our first casualty in name of budgets.........cable television.





"It'll be all right", I reassured Amber not believing a word I was saying. How could it be all right? We suffered through the writer's strike just to ditch cable as soon as the shows started to come back on. I felt like a traitor.





But I was worse than a traitor, I was a bored traitor, a very bored traitor. Amber decided that we could fill the void with games. The first unlikely family hit was the I Spy Go-Fish card game. We have literally played this game hundreds of times.











Each of the cards have their own names. There is the "wack-a-do dog", the "crabby patties", the "Jared" (yellow biker guy), and my favorite the "shwee-shway", (that's how my niece Reagan used to say "school bus"). I employ serious strategy while playing this game. I count cards, study facial expressions, and often attempt intimidation. Mikkena, on the other hand, simply uses her psychic powers. Amber and I often watch in horror while Mikkena blindly obliterates our hands while wrapping gum around her fingers. Now that I know of Mikkena's newly discovered abilities I have added incentive to visit my parents in Las Vegas.





Despite the competition we manage to have a little fun.


The newest game to grace the Hill home is Cranium. This game is not for the faint of heart, be prepared to be pushed out of your comfort zone.


Here are Amber and Grant acting out Mt. Everest. How could I have missed that one?


But with out a doubt our favorite game is Scrabble, and thanks to Stacie and Steve we have the deluxe turntable addition. Now we play Scrabble like the Donald, with our pinkies up.

Here is Cody celebrating his game winning, 60 point, triple-word scored, "fuzzy". If that's not excitement I don't know what is. If anyone is looking for some action give us a call. We might not know what happened in So You Think You Can Dance, but you'll never play a more intense game of Go-Fish.

4 comments:

Sherine said...

ooohhh... adult game night is sounding good... although I'm not so friendly when it comes to competition.

Stacie said...

Niiiiiice!

ps - when did you meet Mr. Trump?

♥Shally said...

Thought you may be interested in another "guy blogger"

http://mormonhusbands.blogspot.com/

Brittanie said...

LOL! I wish I was close enough to play. I've been pretty bored myself (haven't had TV since I was pregnant with Cora) since Matt's in Oklahoma until September and the only person I have to play with is Erin.

Which is great sometimes, but adult conversation would be nice too.