Friday, August 29, 2008

Week in review: ADHD style.


This post is going to be a wild ride. Be prepared to switch subjects frequently, with little or no warning. If you get sick on roller coasters, I recommend logging off now.

You'd think after living with a cat for five years we would know everything there is to know about her. We have long known that she has interests in eating, pooping, and sleeping, but we have recently discovered that she also likes Miles Davis. And by "she also likes Miles Davis" I mean "You don't want to know what she does when I put on Miles Davis". Let's just say that after we listened to a Miles Davis CD last week, there's been weirdness between Tally and Me. I have a hard time looking her in the eye, and I feel uncomfortable when she comes waddling into a room. Tally, why can't you just listen to Bob Marley like our other cat Gretchen?
The moment I have been waiting 15 years for finally arrived. Mikkena told me that she had a project due in school where she had to design a container that would protect an egg from breaking after being thrown off of the roof of the school. This was a chance to redeem myself from the 1993 egg splatter fiasco.
I should have realized something was wrong when Mikkena asked me, "Dad, can I help work on my project?" Of course you can Mikkena, you can hold the camera.

The project required rigorous testing. Finally a pay off for moving to the third floor! Lucky for us all of the neighbor children were faster then a falling box of eggs.

The spikes were designed not only to soften the impact, but to roll the box and spread the impact over a larger surface area (I've been thinking about this for a while). Mikkena told me that after seeing the finished project her classmates all wrote that they expected her project to fail. But.................

Success! Take that 9-year-olds.

Every now and then Amber and I run into something that is so amazing and enriches our lives so much that we can't imagine how we ever lived life with out it. The following is a short list of some of those things.

1. Uncooked tortillas: Until a visit to my Sister-in-law's house on Pioneer Day, I have always purchased pre-cooked tortillas. I never realized that there was a difference. My friends, there is a difference. I have one thing to say to pre-cooked tortillas, you're dead to me.

2. Totos: The people that know what I'm talking about are nodding right now.

3. Big Brother 10: If you have ever sat in a closet for two hours trying to get a better signal from your neighbor's wireless internet just so you can catch the latest internet feed, the show is good. Not that we have ever done that.

4 comments:

Brittanie said...

Woohoo!! I'm glad you redeemed yourself Jared. I'm also glad you let Mikkena help a little. =Þ I'm going to have to keep your design in mind when Erin gets there.

And where do you buy UNCOOKED tortillas?? I've been buying mine from a little Mexican bakery here in town. They're likes Mom's. Yum.

Stacie said...

Totos?

Sherine said...

Totos. I'm with you on that one. I miss my toto. Especially with winter trying to sneak in.

Brittanie said...

So, Adrienne and I were talking this morning. There's probably NO WAY Matt and I are going to be able to get down to Vegas any time soon...especially not for Thanksgiving. So I was thinking that maybe Matt and I can get down there for Thanksgiving..and you and us and Adrienne can have a dinner. I talked to Dad and he even said that he and mom will talk about the possibility of them coming up. What do you think?